Monday, July 20, 2009

Peanut Butter Chocolate Teddy Bear Cookies


The girls wanted to make cookies last night (or play with play dough). Of course, they didn't mention their desire, until I had cleaned the kitchen up for the evening. The dishwasher was loaded, and ready to run. The floor was swept. The counters clean. The thought of covering everything with flour, and then having a sink full of dishes to do by hand before bed, was not all that appealing to me.

The girls, sensing my mood, promised that they would do all of the clean up. But, of course, I knew better - I've seen their room. Still, it was early in the evening, and they clearly needed something to do. So, trying to remember, that someday I would cherish the memories, and that these moments will pass quickly, and all that kind off greeting card drivel, that means nothing when you just want a quiet minute, and a cup of coffee, we headed to the kitchen.

They wanted to do everything themselves, so I had them make the simplest (and least messy) peanut butter cookie recipe I know. It only has four ingredients:
  • 1 cup of peanut butter
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • a dozen, or so, chocolate chips.

Normally, after mixing the peanut butter, sugar, and egg, I roll the dough into one inch balls. Bake for 10 to twelve minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. And, then press a chocolate chip into the middle of each, still hot cookie. To make it a little more special for the girls though, I had them tweak it just bit.

They added two additional, smaller balls of dough, for ears. Then, after the baking, they pressed three chocolate chips, some regular, and some mini, into the cookies for faces. The girls were pleased. Clean up was quick, only one bowl, one measuring cup, two spoons, and the cookie sheet (thankfully, no flour). The bedtime snack for kids was taken care of. And, watching them work together, enjoying each others company, is a memory I think I will cherish after all, drivel, cold coffee, and extra dishes notwithstanding.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: