Monday, September 28, 2009

Jiggly Jello Finger Paint - A Weekly Unplugged Project


The theme for this weeks Unplugged Project, at the unplugyourkids.com, is a very general letter "J". The door was so wide open, and I was almost paralyzed into inactivity. I just couldn't decide which way to turn.

Finally, last night, I decided to let the little ones try some jiggly jello finger painting. I've seen the recipe around in a number of different places, and thought it looked interesting, but hadn't gotten around to trying it yet. Ours, was actually jiggly gelatin finger paint, as we used unflavored gelatin with food coloring, instead of the sugar-free Jello, that would have already been tinted. But, for the sake of the theme, we'll pretend it was the real stuff.

To make our paint, I dissolved two packets of jelatin (is that a good enough compromise?), with four tablespoons of boiling water. Then I divided it into bowls, and stirred in different colors. When it had cooled, a bit, I let the girls paint with it on wax paper. Freezer paper would be preferable, but once again, we used what we had on hand.


The girls really enjoyed the jiggly texture of the paint, but it didn't take long for it to harden up to the point where they couldn't be used.





As far as a paint experiment, I'd say this particular recipe was a failure. But, as a fun, and jiggly, textural experience, it was a glorious success.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Mom Unplugged said...

I have seen this "recipe" and never tried it yet. I am glad to know in advance that it wasn't so great results-wise, but I am happy your kids had fun. I guess I am not the only one with sub-par results sometimes. Let's hear it for honest, real-life arts & crafts bloggers! Thank you!