Monday, June 28, 2010

Oreo Moon Phase Activity



Our snack tonight was inspired by the beautiful clear evenings we've been having, affording us some gorgeous views of the moon.

We watched a couple of short, online, videos for kids (here, and here), explaining moon phases, and then recreated the waxing and waning of the moon, with Oreo cookies, following a worksheet from the Lunar and Planetary Institute.


Full Moon.


Waning Gibbous.


Third Quarter.


Waning Crescent.


New Moon.


Waxing Crescent.


First Quarter.


Waxing Gibbous.


After the children enjoyed their "moon" cookies, I read parts (the non-big-bang parts) of Seymour Simon's The Moon. The text is a little wordy for younger children, and it is certainly not written from a Christian perspective, but it contains some excellent, and interesting pictures of the moon.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

13 comments:

Debbie said...

A great idea! Now I am hungry for oreos and milk!

Ticia said...

I bet you had no lack of volunteers for this one.

April Mitchell said...

Brilliant and Yummy! I tweeted and facebooked about this! Love all your creative homeschool ideas!

Joyful Learner said...

So cute! Now I need to get some gluten free Oreos!

Darcy said...

This is an incredibly awesome idea (and quite tasty, too!)

Phyllis said...

You are so clever.

Julie said...

I love this idea! We just finished off our oreos but I'm going to buy more now that I have a really good excuse!

Unknown said...

OK- We have to learn about the phases of the moon now...

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love it - and the book looks interesting (for later). Thanks for sharing the links too!

Rose said...

What an awesome idea. I just hope my kids can keep from eating the oreos long enough to do the project. Big Oreo fans here.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

That is pretty stinking awesome and creative! :) I love it!

Blessings,

Val

Kylie said...

oh this is fabulous, I'mnot sure the bisucits would last long enough to get through all of the phases.

I must check out that book too.

Katherine said...

Thanks for this post! I did this with my girls (ages 4 and 2) today and they had so much fun. I drew numbers on the plate first with chocolate syrup to represent each phase. Then they covered up each number with the corresponding cookie. My 4 year old was so proud to show it off! (And my 2 year old actually finished the activity before plunging the cookies into milk!)