Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Balloon Pumpkin Patch for the First Day of Fall

We kicked off the first day of fall, this morning, with pumpkin muffins, apple cider, and a trip to the pumpkin patch.

Yes, I know it's a tad early for pumpkin patches. Actually, we don't even have any in our area, anymore. A year or two ago, a couple of farmers tried to grow enough pumpkins to make a patch, and it was fun - but nothing like the patches near Grandma's house in Oregon's Willamette Valley.

Given our dismal garden showing this fall, I can't blame our local farmers for giving up. But, we weren't ready to abandon a favorite fall tradition.

So, this morning, before the children got up, I scattered orange (and a few green) pumpkins around the floor...



...tied them together with curly ribbon...



...and taped on some construction paper leaves.





Then, when the children got up, they ate their muffins, drank their cider, and watched "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" (we have it on disk, but you can find it online, here).

I know it's a early for the Great Pumpkin, too. And, we don't even celebrate Halloween, anymore. But, I'm a sucker for all things Charlie Brown, and it went perfectly with our breakfast.

I placed a real pumpkin on the table too, with the promise of some fall themed schoolwork, later in the day.



But first, it was off to the patch, for some good old fashioned pumpkin picking, of our own.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Great idea, so much fun! I spied our first pumpkins a week or so ago, but they were still terribly green. I am keeping Selena away from that store right now. I am sure we will have to do another pumpkin recipe this fall.

phasejumper said...

Love this idea! It would have never occurred to me to use balloons and tie them together! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh gotta love the Great Pumpkin,

Happy Fall Yall :)

Christy Killoran said...

So much fun!

I love Charlie Brown too.

Anything made with pumpkin is delicious by my standards!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You are so creative - I loved your pumpkin patch. Enjoy your first day of fall.

Cassie said...

I think that is a fabulous idea! So much fun!

Unknown said...

Oh, you are the BEST Mommy ever! I wish we had woken up at your house this morning...*sigh*...

Brimful Curiosities said...

We have a few pumpkins growing in a patch on the family farm. Good year for pumpkins. What fun to wake up to a pumpkin patch inside the house!

Ticia said...

Yummmmmmm. And charlie brown too? Perfect

Phyllis said...

What fun! You are wonderful with surprises!

Lisa said...

You are so creative! Where do you come up with so many great ideas??? Your kids look like they had a blast! Happy Fall! :)