Thursday, June 23, 2011

Glow In The Dark Surprise, Popsicle Stick Bracelets

A, returned today, after accompanying the Man of the House on a business trip to Oregon, and brought back with her, her BFF, for a week long visit.

Needless to say, crafts and outrageously entertaining activities are going to be in order.

While A was gone, I got a jump on things, and prepared a few Popsicle stick bracelets (an idea I saw over at Suzy's Artsy Crafty Sitcom), for the girls to decorate.

I soaked jumbo Popsicle sticks in water for five, or six hours, until they were easy to bend, without breaking.


Then, I wrapped them around spice jars, and stuck some inside of jars, cups, and lids, to get them curved around small enough to fit child-sized wrists.


We live in a dry climate, so they were dry enough to hold their form in a matter of hours. A few of them were splintery on the edges, so I gave them a quick pass with fine sandpaper, to make them smooth, and ready for the girls to decorate, simply, with markers.


What I'm not going to tell them, is that I painted the bracelets with glow-in-the-dark paint. I was so happy to find some at the hardware store. Maybe I'll get to those mason jar stars yet, or some of the other six thousand glow-in-the-dark projects I've been pondering.

As for the bracelets, the only tip I have is go easy on the paint. Too much moisture will make them straighten out again. It's worth it to take the extra time, and apply several thin coats, instead of one thick one.


The girls are going to be so surprised!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

That is such a cute idea! A wonderful surprise!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I didn't know that you can bend popsicles that way - very neat trick! So now you have 7 kids in the house? Wow!

Christy Killoran said...

That is a cool surprise!

Ticia said...

They will be totally shocked! How cool.

I wonder how long it'd take in our humid climate to dry.....