Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yesterday



I'm not sure if it's the school supplies in the stores, the ripening apples on our trees, or the return of chilly mornings, and evenings to the last few, really hot, days of summer, but my mind has definitely been turning toward fall.

In fact, I found myself yesterday, with knitting needles in hand, downloading an audio copy of Pride and Prejudice from our library's "to go" catalog, and contemplating the scraps of yarn left in my craft cupboard.

By the end of the afternoon, Elizabeth Bennett was happily married to Mr. Darcy, and I had five, tiny, Freya Jaffke patterned kittens (at least they're supposed to be kittens, the ears I made kind of make them look like bears with long tails), and an empty teapot, to show for my day.

I'm really not sure what the children did, other than to walk through the room occasionally, exclaiming at the "stupidness" of the Jane Austen (that was mainly T, who turning 14 this weekend, is not expected to care for the raptures of Victorian courtship), or ask if they could have the particular kitten I was working on (they all already have knit kittens, so I'm saving these for friends). Judging from the number of grimy little hand prints along the stairway wall, I'd say the younger children played most of the day outside, and I seem to remember a neighbor child, or two, tramping through with them.

I woke up this morning with the correct number of children though, and since they all seem to be healthy, and well, and I'm not quite out of yarn, I went ahead and downloaded Sense and Sensibility, for today.



It's great to be a homeschooler - but an occasional break is pretty nice, too.

13 comments:

Ticia said...

I think they look like kittens. I just reread Pride and Prejudice and was thinking about downloading the rest of the Austen books soon.

OurWanderingAdventures said...

It sounds like a wonderfully relaxing day!

MichellesCharmWorld

Lisa Miles said...

Sounds like the perfect day!

Debbie said...

We all need these times of relaxation. We are feeling Autumn in the air here and noticed leaves even changing color yesterday.

You should consider opening an etsy shop and sell some of your cute creations. I know I would buy a set or two of your pancakes and eggs.

Joyful Learner said...

It's funny that I'm actually looking forward to winter...staying indoors and curling up with a book. Summer was great but we're so dark with a tan that we're hardly recognizable! Love your kitties! If you have extras, do you mind selling them? I know K would love them and I'm a terrible knitter!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Debbie and Joyful Learner - I'll have to give that some thought :)

Joyful Learner said...

Don't forget, I would totally buy your book even though I don't cook much. I think your baking activities are great! But please autograph it for me. :)

Unknown said...

You get a lot done during an audio book...shoot fire!

Ingi said...

Oh yeah - cuddled up and listening to Jane Austen - does it get any better?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ingi - Not much!

Wonder Mom - Pride and Prejudice is a pretty long story :)

Marcee said...

I love that you have down time too! I can say that your day has been like my last month! Although, I wasn't knitting. I was gardening, painting, cooking, baking, listening to my ipod, reading, ect..... I'm enjoying these last days of summer. Also, ordering a few more "spine" history books to go with our new history curr., Truthquest.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Marcee - I'd love to hear more about Truthquest.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can only dream of hours and hours of my child not asking for my attention. As I said many times, there are definite advantages in having more than 1:)