Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fall Family Traditions - Owl Cookies and Paper Bag Owls

We continued our fall fun (and knocked a couple more leaves off our leaf list) with a few of our favorite autumn activities, last night...


...making chocolate maple owl cookies (click the link, for instructions - we cut the recipe in half this year, for smaller cookies, which we liked even better)...




...and paper bag owls.





Only the two youngest (ages 5 and 6), joined in the craft time, which is as it should be. But, everyone made a cookie, and enjoyed listening to Stockard Channing's reading of Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary.


You just can't make paper bag owls without Ramona...well...you can, but you shouldn't. And, since most of her stories start out, at the beginning of the school year, they're perfect for fall.

As much as I enjoy reading Beverly Cleary stories out loud, I turned to an audio version this time, so I'd be free to join in the fun, and help the children with the craft, and cookies. I'm really fond of Stockard Channing's performance. But, it did make me smile to hear the children say, they like my reading better. It's always nice to have a fan club.

You can find out what other families have been reading this week, and pick up some good recommendations, at the What My Child is Reading link-up hosted by Mouse Grows Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Ticia said...

Does it get hard when your kids outgrow family traditions? It would seem like that might be hard to deal with.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - New ones take the old ones place as time passes, so it's not too bad. I think the trick is to enjoy the warmth of the past, but keep looking forward.

Annette W. said...

Love them!!

Phyllis said...

Both are cute!

Unknown said...

The cookies and craft are adorable. And a book was being read during? That makes it perfect!

Anonymous said...

I'm an Aussie grandmother looking after a 6 year old and a 4 year old for 3 days a week. Your site has been an absolute godsend! I can't afford to buy many toys for them (and probably wouldn't, even if I had the money.) so your ideas for games and activities using everyday things have been a real inspiration. One of the best things has been that when they come over, their first question is usually "What are we going to make today?"
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Debbie said...

Both the cookie and bag owls look so great!

Christy Killoran said...

I love these cookies! Someday I have to make them.

Denice said...

Thanks for the cute ideas. I didn't know about the Ramona audio series. I think I'll have to check it out. While we make some fall paper bag owls!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Everything looks so picture perfect - both owl cookies and the paper bag owls. It looks like a great start of fall season to me!